Sunday, October 23, 2011

Just A Dash Of Liquid Courage: #15

Always on the lookout for something new, I actually found myself a variety of sake served cold; and one I've been looking for for some time; Nigori. It is essentially unfiltered sake, which is intentionally left cloudy. I had a heck of a time trying to find any other details about this particular bottle, since it's all written in Japanese.



Takara Sho Chiku Bai Nigori Sake
240mL bottle at 10.5% ABV
Appearance: 6.5/10 (C)
Quite frankly, the appearance reminds me of watered down rice milk - a cloudy white with a strange, swirling oiliness on top. Works with the sake cup, but otherwise not so much.
Aroma/Nose: 5.5/10 (D+)
A scent very typical of sake, it's fruity and sweet, but also rather strong, with a hint of that 'paint thinner' smell coming through, which kind of kills it for me.
Mouthfeel: 8.5/10 (B+)
Smooth with a sleekness to it almost like silk, finishing with a soft powdery feeling, without being dry, this drink has a unique and rather amusingly pleasant texture, ending with a faint numbness.
Flavor: 6.5/10 (C)
Though it has a pleasant, ricy sweetness typical of sake, and a fruitiness I've never really had before, much like raisins but without being cloying, this wine finishes with a warmth and slight harshness to it, taking away from the overall flavor.
Overview: 7/10 (C+)
Though not unlike typical sake, it's also quite different, and certainly worth the try for the experience. Unlike most sake, it is served cold, and is definitely something I would get again, despite the small bottle.

No comments: